Jewelry Cleaning Tips
There are a number of things to consider when cleaning of imitation jewellery. Imitation jewellery is a soft metal so handle with care to avoid scratching. Cleaning of jewellery in order to removing dirt from jewellery to improve its appearance.
Oils, grease, and other hydrophobic materials adhere well to a jewelry’s surface. So it’s necessary to maintaining a clean imitation jewellery on regular basis.
Here are a few cares and cleaning tips which can improve the condition of your artificial jewellery and keeps its sparkle and shine.
Things to avoid when cleaning:
- Do not use alcohols or acids as a jewelry cleaner.
- Avoid using soap to clean costume jewelry as it leaves a residue on the metal or cause the stones to look dull.
- Avoid using vinegar. It can be harmful to gemstones.
- Avoid using chlorine and ammonia. It can be discolor of the metal.
- Avoid using pins, tweezers or other sharp objects to remove small particles of grime as it scratch on the metal of jewelry.
- Do not be too aggressive when you brush on jewelry. Imitation could be scratched if brushed too hard.
- Do not expose jewellery to harsh chemicals or perfumes as this could cause damage and discoloration.
- Do not use chemicals or perfumes. It can be discolor and damage peace.
- Avoid to spraying jewellery with beauty products such as perfume hair spray, or cosmetics. It can be tarnish or discolor the jewellery.
- Store jewelry away from other metal jewelry to avoid scratches.
Try following things:
- Clean jewellery using a mild liquid detergent mixed with warm water.use as little liquids as necessary to remove the dirt from jewellery.
- Use anti-tarnish paper for wrapping your costume jewelry before storing it for long periods of time.
- Use a cotton or flannel cloth for removing dust from the jewelry. The dust may cause scratching during the cleaning process.
- Use jewelry brush to remove any remaining grime.
- Use a soft brush to prevent any scratches.
- Store jewellery carefully in its original packaging or a jewellery box.
Different metals and stones require different cleaning techniques so please ensure you are following the relevant tips. It’s important to choose only cleaner that is safe for the metal used in your jewelry. These tips are for general cleaning and are safe for most types of fashion jewelry. Some imitation jewellery are made from several different kind of materials. So if your jewellery is made from different components like gemstones, metals, etc, use only cleaners that are safe for the weakest component of your jewelry.
The tarnishing of imitation jewelry is typically caused by the metal reacting with the atmosphere and oxidizing. So try to regular jewelry cleaning for avoiding tarnishing and store in plastic resalable bags to prevent oxidation.
Costume jewelry needs regular cleaning to keep it in good condition for longtime use and prevent tarnishing. If you use your jewelry daily on a daily basis or very often, you must need to clean it weekly. If you use jewelry only for special occasions, you must need to clean it before putting it back into storage.
Imitation jewellery made from certain metals that color will naturally change over time and jewelry become slightly darker depend on its uses. So cleaning is not requires in this case.